No car owner likes having to buy car insurance, especially when they know the prices are way too high.
A recent survey discovered that most car insurance policyholders kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. Consumers in Texas can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue the benefits if they replace their high priced policy.
Consumers have multiple auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, it can be more challenging to get the best deal for Acura ILX insurance in Austin.
The goal of this article is to teach you a little about the best methods to compare rates. If you have car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your rates using the ideas covered in this article. But Texas consumers can benefit by having an understanding of the way companies determine prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies will improve the odds of getting the best offered rates.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure an Acura in Austin, insuring your vehicle is required in Texas but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Acura for a lot more money and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your ILX greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $850 per year so we recommend shopping around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Why Informed Drivers Pay Less for Acura ILX Insurance
Many different elements are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are more obscure like where you live and annual miles driven. Part of the insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that aid in calculating your insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Teen drivers pay higher rates – Teenage drivers in Texas tend to be easily distracted when driving so they pay higher insurance rates. Older people are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
- Remove unneeded extra coverages – There are quite a few additional extra coverages that can add up when buying insurance. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, towing coverage, and extra equipment coverage could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Your address can impact costs – Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when talking about insurance. People in densely populated areas tend to have more aggressive driving styles and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Why do you need liability? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you in the event that you are found liable for damages from an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Insurance losses for an Acura ILX – Insurers analyze past claim statistics as a tool for profitable underwriting. Vehicles that the statistics show to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will be charged more to insure. The next table shows the historical insurance loss data for Acura ILX vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles compiled together equals 100. Numbers below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Acura ILX Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Acura ILX 96 94 83 112 111 97
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get lower-cost Acura ILX insurance in Austin with discounts
Some companies do not list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for several vehicles with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of insurance companies provide a small discount for completing your application online.
- Resident Student – Youth drivers who live away from home at college and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Clubs and Organizations – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on car insurance.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance coverage on a new ILX can get you a discount since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds who allow their car insurance company to scrutinize driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
Discounts lower rates, but most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, that’s just not realistic. Any amount of discount will lower your policy premium.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer policyholders these money-saving discounts include:
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts may not be available in Austin.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to choosing a policy, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do I need to call my car insurance company before buying a new car?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
What if I want to buy from local Austin insurance agents?
Some people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision An additional benefit of comparing rates online is you may find cheaper rates but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Austin.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Austin who will give you bids for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer as quotes are delivered immediately to you. Get lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
What type of Austin car insurance agent is right for you?
When finding local Austin agents, there are a couple of types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Car insurance agencies can either be exclusive or independent.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not have single company limitations and that gives them the ability to insure with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparison shopping, you absolutely need to contact at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Below are Austin independent agencies that may be able to give you pricing information.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are well trained in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Austin who can help you get rate quotes.
Jane McQuiggin-Hutson – State Farm Insurance Agent
2307 W Parmer Ln – Austin, TX 78727 – (512) 973-8501 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agent should include more criteria than just a low price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Texas?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that is reliable enough to provide car insurance coverage.
Find cheaper rates by being thorough
Some insurance providers may not have rate quotes online and usually these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agents. More affordable auto insurance in Austin can be bought online as well as from independent agents in Austin, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
When searching for inexpensive Austin car insurance quotes, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal is to buy enough coverage at the best cost.
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Austin Car Insurance for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Austin? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in Austin? (FAQ)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)