Sick and tired of sacrificing other expenses to pay car insurance each month? Your situation is no different than most other consumers in Texas.
Astonishing but true, most consumers have purchased from the same company for four years or more, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average car insurance premium being $2,680, Texas drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they won’t spend time to compare rate quotes online. Insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive all claim big savings with catchy ads and consumers find it hard to ignore the promise of big savings and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can follow these tips to save money without having to cut coverage. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Austin can be easy if you know a few tricks. Drivers just need to use the most efficient way to shop from many different companies.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Affordable Tesla Model S insurance quotes in Austin
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you may qualify for discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but a few must be manually applied before they will apply. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount available, you may be paying too high a price.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a break if you buy a life policy as well.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- Claim-Free Discount – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Anti-theft System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your Austin car insurance quote.
- Federal Government Employee – Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease but check with your company.
- Telematics Discount – People who choose to allow their insurance company to look at driving patterns by using a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new is cheaper because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Austin car insurance quote than drivers with accident claims.
- Online Discount – A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Progressive may offer discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including military active duty, driver training, seat belt use, daytime running lights, membership and employees, and five-year accident-free.
- State Farm offers discounts including good driver, multiple policy, multiple autos, student away at school, good student, and defensive driving training.
- Esurance offers discounts for online quote, paid-in-full, good driver, renters, and Pac-12 alumni.
- The Hartford has discounts for driver training, good student, air bag, defensive driver, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, and bundle.
If you want affordable Tesla Model S insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply everywhere. To see insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Austin, click this link.
Protect more than your Tesla vehicle
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Tesla at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in Texas overpays as much as $820 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
Always keep in mind that when comparing the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- How high should deductibles be on a Tesla Model S?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Shop online but buy locally
Some people just prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! Professional insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your information gets sent to local insurance agents in Austin that give free quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific company, just find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Picking the best insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
Two types of car insurance agents
When looking for an insurance agent, there are a couple of different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s a good idea to understand the subtle differences since it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive agents can only write with one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are exclusive agents in Austin willing to provide rate quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, you definitely need to get several quotes from a few independent agents to get the best comparison.
The following are Austin independent insurance agencies that can give you rate quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Bill Russell Insurance Agency Inc
9015 Mountain Ridge Dr #350 – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 343-1106 – View Map