Want to save money and find the cheapest Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Austin? Vehicle owners who just recently started price shopping auto insurance online might discover sourcing inexpensive Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Austin is tougher than they thought.
It’s hard to fathom, but almost 70% of insureds kept their coverage with the same insurance company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared quotes from other companies. Texas insurance shoppers could save approximately 70% every year just by comparing rates, but they don’t want to take the time to compare rate quotes online.
It is always a good idea to shop coverage around quite often because insurance prices change quite often. Even if you think you had the best deal on Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Austin a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate today. There is a lot of bad advice regarding Atlas insurance online, but in this article, you’re going to get some tested techniques to lower your insurance rates in Austin.
Components of Your Volkswagen Atlas Insurance Costs
Many different elements are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but other factors are less obvious like where you live and annual miles driven.
How credit score affects insurance rates – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining premium rates. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Volkswagen Atlas by spending a little time repairing your credit. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
Pay more out-of-pocket – Protection for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers your vehicle from damage. Examples of covered claims are a broken windshield, hitting a deer, and damage caused by flying debris. Your deductibles define how much you are willing to pay if the claim is covered. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
How much liability – The liability section of your policy will provide protection when you are found to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Fewer miles means better rates – The higher the miles on your Volkswagen every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Having the wrong rating on your Atlas may be costing you higher rates. It’s a good idea to make sure your declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Lower prices with theft deterrents – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system help track and prevent auto theft.
Premiums are lower the older you get – Mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Teenage drivers are known to be inattentive when behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher.
High performance equals high prices – The performance of the car you own makes a big difference in determining your rates. Since the Volkswagen Atlas is considered a compact SUV, insuring your vehicle will cost the same to a little lower compared to average rates in Austin. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Bundle policies to earn discounts – Most insurance companies give discounts to people who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
To find cheap rates, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from different companies. The fastest way to compare Volkswagen Atlas insurance prices is simply to get online rate quotes.
Just remember that comparing a large number of companies helps increase your odds of locating the best rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide Austin Atlas insurance quotes over the internet, so it’s important to compare price estimates from those companies as well.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Auto insurance providers like State Farm and Allstate endlessly run television and radio advertisements. All the ads tend to make the same promise that drivers will save a bundle if you change your coverage. It sounds good, but how can they all claim to save you money? Here is how they do it.
Insurance companies have specific criteria for the type of customer that is profitable for them. For instance, this type of driver could possibly be over age 30, has other policies, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. Any driver who matches that profile will probably get cheap rates and as a result will probably save if they switch.
Insureds who don’t measure up to this ideal profile must pay a higher rate which leads to the customer buying from a different company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “people who switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much when switching. This is how companies can truthfully make those statements.
Because of the profiling, drivers should get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to guess which insurance companies will give you lower prices than your current company.
Choosing Atlas insurance is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volkswagen Atlas in Austin, car insurance is required in Texas but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Atlas has a lien holder, almost all lenders will require that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your Volkswagen. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $750 every year so it’s recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but some must be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple vehicles on the same insurance policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Austin Homeowners Discount – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks since owning and maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Federal Government Employee – Having worked for a branch of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Austin car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting insurance on a new Atlas can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for newer vehicles.
- Paperless Signup – Some companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for signing up over the internet.
- Distant College Student Discount – Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think you could get a free insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm includes discounts for Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, student away at school, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, online signing, good student, homeowner, multi-policy, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may include discounts for good student, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, and online signing.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for good driver, defensive driver, accident-free, good student, claim-free, and multi-policy.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for youthful driver, 55 and retired, renewal discount, driver training, safe driver, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO offers discounts for seat belt use, emergency military deployment, air bags, multi-policy, membership and employees, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO has discounts for anti-theft, multi-car, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, and teen safety rewards.
Before buying, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts might not be offered on policies in Austin.
Do I need an insurance agency?
Some people prefer to talk to a local agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local insurance agents is important especially in Austin.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Austin who will give you quotes to get your business. You don’t have to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates without a big time investment. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Types of car insurance agents in Austin
If you’re trying to find a reliable insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Agents in Austin are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents do not sell for just one brand and that allows them to write policies through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When comparing insurance prices, it’s recommended you compare prices from at least one independent agent for the best price selection. They often place coverage with less well-known companies which can save you money.
Featured below is a list of independent insurance agents in Austin that may be able to give comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Bill Russell Insurance Agency Inc
9015 Mountain Ridge Dr #350 – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 343-1106 – View Map
- Mitchamore Insurance Agency
560, 5316 W US Highway 290 Service Rd – Austin, TX 78735 – (512) 730-1424 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: James Gary Howe
3720 Far West Blvd #114 – Austin, TX 78731 – (512) 346-7645 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents are contracted to one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in Austin that are able to give price quotes.
- Dick Cohalla – State Farm Insurance Agent
10711 Burnet Rd #102 – Austin, TX 78758 – (512) 837-4210 – View Map
- Nancy Callahan – State Farm Insurance Agent
3500 Jefferson St #313 – Austin, TX 78731 – (512) 451-7573 – View Map
- Gary Shanahan – State Farm Insurance Agent
5145 N FM 620 b170 – Austin, TX 78732 – (512) 458-2593 – View Map
Selecting an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Before buying a policy in Austin, get answers to these questions.
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- How long has their agency been in business in Austin?
How to know if you need help
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Texas?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
In this article, we covered a lot of tips how to find cheap Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Austin. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company.
Additional auto insurance information is located at the links below
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Company Car in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Austin Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Austin Auto Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Austin Car Insurance Quotes for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Nissan Rogue in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds in Austin? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in Austin? (FAQ)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)