Are you tired of sacrificing other expenses each month for auto insurance? Your situation is no different than many other Texas consumers.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that the majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for over three years, and 38% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. The average driver in Austin could save an average of about $1,770 each year by just comparing quotes, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rate quotes online. Multiple insurers compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider to discover the definitive lowest rate on Mercury Montego insurance in Austin.
It’s a good habit to compare prices every six months since prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the best deal on Mercury Montego insurance in Austin last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate quote today. There are lots of tips to save on Montego insurance out there, but we’re going to give you some great ideas on how to find affordable auto insurance in Austin.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Texas. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Discounts for affordable insurance rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but some must be manually applied before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will let one accident slide before they charge you more for coverage if you have no claims before the accident.
- Driver’s Ed – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- E-sign – Many insurance companies may give you up to $50 shop Austin auto insurance on their website.
- Buy New and Save – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money since newer models are generally safer.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO offers discounts for federal employee, emergency military deployment, good student, five-year accident-free, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may have discounts that include good driver, good student, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, and accident-free.
- State Farm includes discounts for good student, good driver, accident-free, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple policy.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for good student, accident-free, professional/association, annual mileage, multi-car, and low natural disaster claims.
- 21st Century offers discounts including defensive driver, early bird, air bags, 55 and older, automatic seat belts, good student, and driver training.
- Allstate has discounts for resident student, anti-theft, safe driver, FullPay discount, auto/life discount, and good student.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent to give you their best rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available in every state.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local neighborhood Austin car insurance agent
Certain consumers just prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Experienced insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to contact an agency since price quotes are sent instantly to you. If you need to get a price quote from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- How long has the business existed?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Where are claims handled?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
If you want to use a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s important to understand the different types of agents that you can select. Agents are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both can sell and service car insurance coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type write business for a single company such as State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are exclusive agents in Austin willing to provide comparison quotes.
Jane McQuiggin-Hutson – State Farm Insurance Agent
2307 W Parmer Ln – Austin, TX 78727 – (512) 973-8501 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you get rate quotes from independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Austin that can give you price quotes.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
What Affects Mercury Montego Insurance Premiums?
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find big savings.
Amount of liability coverage – The liability section of your policy will provide protection in the event that you are found to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Urban residents pay more – Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when trying to find low car insurance rates. People who live in big cities regularly have more auto accidents and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Pay more out-of-pocket – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims could be colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more money the insured is willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
You may save more by combining policies – Some insurance companies provide lower prices to clients that purchase more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can be as much as ten percent or more Even with this discount, you still need to compare other Austin Montego insurance rates to ensure the best deal.
Get hitched and get better rates – Having a significant other may cut your premiums on insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and responsible and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Rates and occupation – Careers like judges, architects and dentists tend to have higher average rates in part from intense work-related stress and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, occupations such as farmers, athletes and performers receive lower rates.
Vehicle features that lower premiums – Choosing to buy a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Advanced theft deterrents like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms can help prevent auto theft.
Improve your credit rating – A driver’s credit history factor in your rate calculation. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers who have bad credit. If your credit rating is not that good, you may save money insuring your Mercury Montego by repairing your credit.
Why you need auto insurance
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Mercury in Austin, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Mercury Montego has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Mercury at a more expensive rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your car and your personal assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Austin is overpaying over $820 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Smart consumers save more
The cheapest Mercury Montego insurance in Austin is definitely available online and with local Austin insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, delays in responding to claim requests, extreme rates for teen drivers or even unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is not as hard as you think.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to shop for Mercury Montego insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from the smaller companies.
Even more information is located by following these links:
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for College Students in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)