How many times have you told yourself it’s time to shop around for cheaper auto insurance rates in Austin, TX? Austin consumers have many options when looking for low-cost GMC Canyon insurance. You can either spend your time contacting agents trying to get quotes or utilize the internet to find the lowest rates. There are more efficient ways to buy auto insurance so you’re going to learn the quickest way to price shop coverage for your GMC and obtain the lowest possible price from both online companies and Austin agents.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that most consumers kept buying from the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,679, Texas drivers can cut their rates by 70% a year just by shopping around, but they don’t believe the amount of savings they would get if they bought a different policy.
Consumers should take time to compare rates once or twice a year because auto insurance prices change quite often. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on GMC Canyon insurance in Austin six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You’ll find a ton of advice on Canyon insurance online but I’m going to show you some guaranteed methods to find cheap auto insurance in Austin.
Discount Austin car insurance quotes
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there may be some discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but a few need to be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few car insurance companies allow discounts for switching to them prior to your current Canyon insurance policy expiration. You could save around 10% when you buy Austin auto insurance online.
- Austin Homeowners Discount – Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Canyon insurance in Austin.
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow data collection to monitor where and when they drive by installing a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with some car insurance companies.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car instead of a used Canyon is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Large car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, multi-car, emergency road assistance, paid-in-full, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford offers discounts for defensive driver, bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, and driver training.
- AAA offers discounts including pay-in-full, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, and good student.
- GEICO may have discounts that include membership and employees, emergency military deployment, driver training, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- State Farm discounts include safe vehicle, accident-free, driver’s education, defensive driving training, good driver, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
When comparing rates, check with all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not apply in your state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Austin, follow this link.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in Austin, TX. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$122||$212||$358||$22||$108||$822||$69|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$252||$570||$462||$28||$138||$1,450||$121|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$246||$610||$430||$26||$128||$1,440||$120|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$136||$322||$430||$26||$128||$1,042||$87|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$142||$218||$366||$22||$110||$858||$72|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$328||$592||$382||$22||$114||$1,438||$120|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$230||$422||$366||$22||$110||$1,150||$96|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$328||$486||$382||$22||$114||$1,332||$111|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$282||$718||$430||$26||$128||$1,584||$132|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$254||$486||$430||$26||$128||$1,324||$110|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$358||$580||$388||$24||$116||$1,466||$122|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$322||$486||$388||$24||$116||$1,336||$111|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$198||$352||$496||$30||$148||$1,224||$102|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$270||$400||$382||$22||$114||$1,188||$99|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Rates do not factor in garaging location in Austin which can decrease or increase insurance rates noticeably.
How accidents and tickets impact rates in Austin
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions impact GMC Canyon yearly insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The premiums assume a single male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
GMC Canyon Insurance Costs Can Be Lower
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, but some are not as apparent like where you live or how financially stable you are.
Shown below are just a few of the factors used by your company to calculate your prices.
- Eliminate unneeded extra policy coverages – Insurance policies have a lot of extra coverages that may not really be needed on your Canyon policy. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, towing, and membership fees may be wasting your money. You may think they are a good idea initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
- Higher comp and collision deductibles are cheaper – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if the claim is covered. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some coverage claims are a windshield broken by a bird, vandalism, or theft of your vehicle. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Accidents inflate premiums – Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to careless drivers. Getting just one ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have received careless violations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may need to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Save by driving vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates directly to fewer claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your GMC Canyon has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
- Teen drivers cost more – Young drivers in Texas are proven to be easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a teen driver onto your auto insurance can be quite pricey. More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and receive fewer citations.
- Too many policy claims will drive prices up – Auto insurance companies in Texas award lower rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Auto insurance is intended for larger claims.
- Your gender affects costs – Over time, data shows that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. It does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. They both have auto accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Not only that, but men also receive more major tickets such as reckless driving.
- GMC Canyon claim statistics – Insurers analyze claim trends for every vehicle to help set a rate to offset losses. Models that historically have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates for specific coverages. The next table illustrates the historical loss data for GMC Canyon vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Numbers that are below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while numbers above 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for GMC Canyon Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Canyon Crew Cab 2WD 54 88 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD 44 71
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When buying insurance from an agent or online, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions might point out if you might need professional guidance.
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Texas?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Auto insurance agents can help
Certain consumers still like to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional insurance agents will help you protect your assets and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that you can find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Austin that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you need to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking an company should depend on more than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Where are claims handled?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Austin?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
Below is a short list of insurers in Austin willing to provide price quote information for GMC Canyon insurance in Austin.
- J B Ruebsahm – State Farm Insurance Agent
1901 W William Cannon Dr #131 – Austin, TX 78745 – (512) 444-1845 – View Map
- Austin Insurance Group
9705 Burnet Rd #314 – Austin, TX 78758 – (512) 339-2901 – View Map
- Eckert Insurance Group
824 W 10th St – Austin, TX 78701 – (512) 472-6969 – View Map
- Greater Austin Insurance Inc
11824 Jollyville Rd # 202 – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 250-1777 – View Map
Auto insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your GMC at a more expensive rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also cover medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so shop around at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Be persistent to save money
We covered many ideas to compare GMC Canyon insurance rates in Austin. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may have significantly lower auto insurance rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
For more information, link through to the articles below:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for College Students in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Austin Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Car Insurance Rates for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Altima in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Austin Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Felons in Austin? (FAQ)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)