No one likes buying car insurance, in particular when they could lower their rates if they shopped around.
Unbelievably, most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. The average driver in Texas could pocket $1,800 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
You have so many auto insurance companies to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, it makes it harder to find the lowest cost provider for Honda Odyssey insurance in Austin.
It is always a good idea to compare premium rates before your next renewal because car insurance prices trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the lowest rates on Honda Odyssey insurance in Austin a few years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you the best methods to find lower rates on car insurance.
Compare Austin Honda Odyssey insurance quotes
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to get quotes from different Austin insurance companies. By far the easiest way to compare rates is to use the internet to compare rates.
It’s so easy to compare price quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to call or drive to each insurance agency near you. The ability to get quotes online makes this process obsolete unless you want the professional abilities of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. However, consumers can price shop your coverage online and still use a local agent.
Just remember that comparing more rates from different companies will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates. Some companies don’t provide online Austin Odyssey insurance quotes, so it’s important to compare price estimates from them, too.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Texas. If more than one company is shown, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Odyssey EX W/Rear Entertainment||$252||$570||$462||$28||$138||$1,450||$121|
|Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$186||$400||$366||$22||$110||$1,084||$90|
|Odyssey EX-L W/Navigation||$254||$572||$430||$26||$128||$1,410||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price estimates do not factor in specific zip code location which can impact premiums substantially.
Analysis of deductible levels
The information below highlights how deductible selection and can change Honda Odyssey insurance costs for different age categories. Data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, most lenders will require that you carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your Honda Odyssey and your personal assets. It will also cover medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying car insurance definitely exceed the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Texas is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Determine discounts on Austin auto insurance
Some insurance providers do not list every policy discount very well, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous savings tricks you should be using when you buy Austin auto insurance online.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one insurance company you could earn a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Safe Drivers – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow their auto insurance company to spy on vehicle usage by using a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system might get better premium rates if their driving habits are good.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags could see savings of up to 25% or more.
- Distant Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few auto insurance companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current Odyssey insurance policy. You may see this discount when you get Austin auto insurance quotes online.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
You should keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Large auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are shown below.
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for homeowner, teen driver, youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, business and professional, multi-car, and distant student.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including multi-policy, driver training, good student, 55 and retired, renewal discount, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm discounts include good driver, student away at school, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and Drive Safe & Save.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for emergency military deployment, seat belt use, military active duty, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, driver training, and federal employee.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, accident prevention training, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, homeowner, and multi-car.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for multi-car, newly married, new vehicle discount, newly retired, hybrid vehicle, and new move discount.
If you need lower rates, check with every company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policyholders in Austin. If you would like to view companies with discount auto insurance rates in Texas, click here to view.
Local Austin insurance agents
A lot of people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Austin.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Austin who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Two types of car insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a local Austin insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance policy providers are either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not restricted to one company so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always compare quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below is a partial list of independent agencies in Austin who can help you get free car insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive normally can only provide a single company’s rates like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Austin that are able to give comparison quotes.
Picking an insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
Insurance agents can help
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really isn’t a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone’s needs are different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Texas?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Car insurance coverages 101
Knowing the specifics of car insurance helps when choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are typical coverages available from car insurance companies.
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Odyssey from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch, colliding with a tree, hitting a mailbox and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your Odyssey to bring the cost down.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and damage to your Honda Odyssey.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for expenses for things like dental work, nursing services, chiropractic care and doctor visits. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto liability insurance
This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 30/60/25 which stand for $30,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability can pay for claims such as loss of income, medical expenses and funeral expenses. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
This coverage covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as falling objects, damage from flooding, hitting a deer, theft and hitting a bird. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
More quotes mean more auto insurance savings
You just learned a lot of tips how to save on Honda Odyssey insurance in Austin. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with the least-expected company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Budget-conscious Honda Odyssey insurance is attainable both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to quote Austin auto insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies do not offer rate quotes online and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Mazda CX-7 in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Austin? (FAQ)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)