I can’t think of a single person who is fond of buying insurance, especially when they know they are paying too much.
Astonishing but true, the vast majority of consumers in Texas kept their coverage with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could cut their rates by as much as 46.5% a year, but they won’t spend time to shop around.
Popular companies such as State Farm, Progressive and GEICO persitently shower you with advertising and it can be hard to see past the geckos and flying pigs and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a good habit to compare rates before your policy renews because insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the best premium rates on Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Austin six months ago there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in how to use the internet to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Just keep in mind that more quotes helps locate a lower rate.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Texas. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you compare several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Check for these discounts on Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Austin
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every policy discount very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Club Memberships – Joining certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break when getting a Austin auto insurance quote.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on insurance because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Requiring all passengers to buckle up could cut 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles on your Toyota could be rewarded with lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
Some companies that may include some of the discounts shown above include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in Austin. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Austin, click here to view.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high insurance cost for a Toyota Prius Prime in Austin, paying for auto insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Toyota Prius Prime, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Toyota at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Austin is overpaying more than $800 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
How to know if you need help
When selecting coverage for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different and your insurance should unique, too.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Should I rate my vehicle as business use?
- What are good deductibles for a Toyota Prius Prime?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Some people still like to talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of comparing insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from local insurance agencies is especially important in Austin.
By using this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to participating agents in Austin who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to leave your house as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. It’s the lowest rates without having to waste a lot of time. In the event you want to compare rates for a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Austin car insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When narrowing the list to find a reputable agency, there are two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not locked into one company so they can write business through many companies and find you cheaper rates. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to contact a few independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Austin who may be able to give you price quote information.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. They are well schooled on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in Austin that are able to give price quotes.
Selecting an insurance agent requires more thought than just the price. Any agent in Austin should have no problem answering these questions:
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Who are their largest clients?
After you get answers to your satisfaction to your questions as well as a price you’re happy with, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to service your policy. It’s important to know that you are able to cancel a policy at any time so don’t think that you are obligated to your new company indefinitely.