Are you kicking yourself for buying an underperforming, overpriced insurance policy? Trust us when we tell you there are lots of Austin residents who feel the same.
It’s astonishing, but over 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never taken the time to shop around. Texas consumers could pocket 70% a year, but they underestimate the actual amount they would save if they switched. Consumers have multiple auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, so many choices can make it hard to compare rates for Mazda 2 insurance in Austin.
Lowering your insurance rates is a fairly straight forward process. The only requirement is to spend a few minutes getting comparison quotes from online providers.
Getting free rates online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to spend time driving to different agent offices. Buying insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional abilities that only a licensed agent can provide. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online but buy from a local insurance agent.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in Texas. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit several of them to get the lowest price.
Choosing Mazda 2 insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Mazda 2 insurance, paying for car insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Mazda at a more expensive rate and require you to pay the higher price.
Third, car insurance protects both your assets and your Mazda. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so compare rates every year to save money.
Learn How to Buy Car Insurance More Affordably
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get cheaper rates.
Lower prices with continuous coverage – Driving any period of time without insurance is a misdemeanor and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher premiums, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Too many insurance claims drive up rates – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Companies in Texas provide better rates to drivers who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
High coverage deductibles reduce premiums – Insurance for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your Mazda from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be a windshield shattered by a rock, hitting a deer, and damage from a fallen tree branch. The deductibles you choose are how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more damage repair cost you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
Extra policy coverages can cost a lot – There are a ton of additional coverages that can add up if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for things like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. They may seem like a good idea initially, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so eliminate them to save money.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Insurance is not inexpensive, but you may find discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of quoting, but some must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, you could be getting lower rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and will qualify for a discount on a Austin car insurance quote.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a discounted premium rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course as it can save substantially.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Good Student Discount – This discount could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
Don’t be surprised that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will definitely reduce your premiums.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include driver training, air bags, multi-vehicle, five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO discounts include multi-car, safe driver, drive less, teen safe driver, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, and teen safety rewards.
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple policy, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, passive restraint, student away at school, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may offer discounts for defensive driver, claim-free, multi-policy, good student, and good driver.
- 21st Century may include discounts for good student, driver training, teen driver, automatic seat belts, and defensive driver.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online signing, and online quote discount.
Double check with each company or agent how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To view companies with the best discounts in Texas, click here to view.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When buying the best car insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different and your car insurance should unique, too.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- If my car is totalled with they pay enough to replace it?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Compare prices but buy from a neighborhood Austin auto insurance agent
A lot of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is transmitted to insurance agents in Austin that provide free Austin car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to leave your house because prices are sent straight to your inbox. If you need to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you would need to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good provider requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Two types of Austin auto insurance agents
If you want a local Austin insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in Austin can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Both sell auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the difference between them since it may influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Austin that can give you comparison quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents do not write with just one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If they quote lower rates, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When shopping rates, you should always include a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Austin that can give you price quote information.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Cheaper Mazda 2 insurance in Austin can be found on the web and also from your neighborhood Austin agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies may not provide internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
We just covered many ways to find affordable Mazda 2 insurance in Austin. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
For more information, feel free to visit these articles:
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Auto Insurance for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Austin? (FAQ)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)