Are you doing reasearch to find lower-priced insurance rates in Austin, TX? Austin shoppers have options when shopping for the best price on Volkswagen Passat insurance. They can either waste time calling around to get rate comparisons or leverage the internet to compare rates. There are both good and bad ways to find insurance online and we’ll show you the proper way to price shop coverage on a Volkswagen and get the best price possible either online or from Austin insurance agents.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings as much as 30%.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Professional Organizations – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount on insurance.
- Anti-theft System – Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency so companies will give you a small discount.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could mean lower insurance rates.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get a slight reduction on a Austin car insurance quote.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to monitor driving habits remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system might see lower rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Renewal Discounts – Some companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Passat insurance policy expiration. It could save around 10% when you buy Austin car insurance online.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
To see providers with discount insurance rates in Texas, follow this link.
Most larger insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm make it easy to get price estimates online. The process is pretty easy as you simply enter the coverage amounts you desire into the form. Once entered, the system gets your driving and credit reports and quotes a price based on these factors.
This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to do this in order to get cheaper rates.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the insurance coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. This guarantees you will get an apples-to-apples comparison using the exact same coverages.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Austin, TX. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get the most affordable price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$186||$338||$334||$20||$100||$978||$82|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$306||$358||$22||$108||$952||$79|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in Austin location which can impact prices substantially.
Males versus Females
The example below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Passat annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no accidents or driving violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Smart Consumers Save on Insurance
When buying insurance it’s important to understand the factors that help calculate your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can earn you lower premium levels.
The itemized list below are some of the major factors that factor into premiums.
- Can a thief steal your car? – Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart thieves like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack help track and prevent auto theft.
- You might want pay the minor insurance claims yourself – If you file claims often, you can look forward to increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in Texas give the best rates to drivers who are claim-free. Your car insurance is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Small coverages can add up – There are a lot of extra coverages that may not really be needed if you don’t pay attention. Coverages for rental car reimbursement, accidental death, and term life insurance are examples of these. They may sound like good ideas at first, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
- Bad credit will cost you – Having a good credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay for insurance. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers who have poor credit. If your credit rating leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volkswagen Passat if you clean up your credit.
- Raise comp and collision deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Examples of covered claims would be a broken side mirror, vandalism, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The larger the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Younger vs. experienced drivers – Beginning drivers in Texas have been known to be inattentive behind the wheel so they pay higher insurance rates. Parents adding a teen driver to your insurance policy can increase premiums substantially. Older insureds are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are safer drivers.
- Long commutes cost more – The more miles you rack up on your Volkswagen each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers apply a rate based on how the vehicle is used. Cars that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure than those that get driven frequently. Improper usage on your Passat can result in significantly higher rates. It’s always a good idea to double check that your insurance policy is rated on the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Volkswagen Passat claim statistics – Companies include the past claim history for a vehicle to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that are shown to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will cost more for coverage. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Volkswagen Passat vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is equal to 100. Numbers under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Volkswagen Passat Vehicles
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Passat 101 99 99 111 113 102
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your auto insurance should unique, too. These are some specific questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- What is no-fault insurance?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Can I insure my car for more than it’s worth?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Comparing rates from local Austin car insurance agents
Some people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Agents can help you choose the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, your information gets sent to local insurance agents that provide free Austin car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you wish to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you would need to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Selecting an insurance company requires more thought than just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- How long has their agency been open in Austin?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Is there a local claims center in Austin?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
Multiple types of car insurance agents in Austin
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance policy providers may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types of agents can write policy coverage, but it’s a good idea to understand the differences because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers often buy insurance from these agents partially due to the brand instead of buying on price only.
Shown below are Austin exclusive insurance agencies that can give you comparison quotes.
- State Farm: Charlie Anderson
12710 Research Blvd #210 – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 258-2231 – View Map
- John Kirk – State Farm Insurance Agent
11130 Jollyville Rd Ste 201 – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 343-7758 – View Map
- Greg Pearson – State Farm Insurance Agent
8705 Shoal Creek Blvd #102 – Austin, TX 78757 – (512) 451-0188 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to do anything. When searching for an agent, you will want to get rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also write with less well-known companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Austin that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Capitol City Insurance
8030 N Mopac Expy – Austin, TX 78759 – (512) 343-0280 – View Map
- EZ Insurance Agency – Main
4502 S Congress Ave – Austin, TX 78745 – (512) 444-4040 – View Map
- Starr Insurance Agency
8801 Research Blvd #104 – Austin, TX 78758 – (512) 586-2000 – View Map
Once you have good feedback to your questions and low cost Volkswagen Passat insurance quotes, you may have found an insurance agency that meets the requirements to adequately provide insurance.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Volkswagen Passat in Austin, auto insurance is required by state law in Texas and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volkswagen, most lenders will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $800 each year so compare rate quotes every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheaper car insurance rates are possible
Some insurance companies don’t offer internet price quotes and these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agents. Budget-conscious Volkswagen Passat insurance can be purchased online as well as from independent agents in Austin, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in the articles below:
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Auto Insurance Rates for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female in Austin? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Austin? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Austin Auto Insurance for Teachers? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)